Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thing #2

The 7-1/2 Habit of Lifelong Leaners video gave me some "ammunition" to help those reluctant students I will encounter next fall. These habits were succinct and crystal clear as to what we all need to become lifelong learners as opposed to the alternative type learner - the door stop. I especially enjoyed that learning is attitudnal - all in the attitude. Of the 7-1/2 Habits, the one that comes the most natural to me is #3. I am the self appointed, "Queen of Plan B". When obstacles present themselves on the road of life or learning - what wonderful opportunity is available for discovery? There is always something that can be done to continue on the path successfully - whatever the task may be. The most challenging Habit for me personally would be #1 - setting goals. I teach my students to have goals. We do activities that encourage and demand they create goals, plans, timetables for achieving ,etc. BUT ME? The shotgun approach is my norm! Creating the Learning Contract today was thrilling, but scary. I feel that my reticence in goal setting comes from fear of failure. If I don't set a goal, I don't worry about achieving it. However, as I sit and read what I just wrote - maybe I just fool myself into thinking I am not setting goals and I actually do! Confused? Great! First goal met!

1 comment:

Terry said...

I know what you mean about the non-goal setting therefore non-failure risk. I believe I have followed that path on the big items. I can set a goal of going to the grocery store tomorrow or cleaning out a closet but college, career, marriage, kids - I think I believe I just let those things happen. If they did -great. If not, no big deal. Or so I said...